Top Six Questions on Last Will & Testaments
By Jeffrey Kempf, Esq.
March 19th, 2021
What is a Will?
A Last Will and Testament (often just called a “will”) is a written direction controlling the disposition of property at death. The laws of each state set the formal requirements for a legal will. In Florida:
- The maker of the will (called the testator) must be at least 18 years old.
- The testator must be of sound mind at the time the will is signed.
- The will must be written.
- The will must be witnessed and notarized in the special manner provided by law.
- It is necessary to follow exactly the formalities required for the execution of a will.
- To be effective, the will must be proved in and allowed by the probate court.
Continue Reading »